Tuesday, August 30, 2005

1 Year Anniversary

It has been almost 1 year since my stint as a WNYT Meteorologist ended. But pursuing my Forensic Meteorology business full-time was the best thing I ever could have done. I started the business 6 years ago...knowing that the TV biz was going to hell in a hand basket then and now. And I sure wasn't one who wanted to work weekends, early mornings and holidays for my entire life. Not being able to vacation on February break or in December with my family...nuh uh...not my cup of tea. I really think the final straw to build a successful business was when the stubborn Hubbards just about locked out the Ch. 13 Union members. I couldn't believe then or now that these people could be so insensitive. I mean suck it up, your making oodles and oodles of money despite what Steve Baboulis and Paul Conti tell you. I'd look at them, smile politely and think, yeah right. Hubbard should let the employees AT LEAST get a cost of living raise. Don't lock them out because we didn't want to accept a 0% raise. I'd hate to see how greedy the Hubbard Corp. will be with the next contract negotiation. If I learned one thing from that experience, it was watch your own back because they will bite you.

But now I am in my little happy place. My Forensic work day begins at 7:00 AM and ends around 7:00 PM, Monday through Friday. It's easy to take off Friday's in the summer-time because most attorneys and judges take off also. The same is true for most holidays.

Many people wonder if my Forensic business is a full-time job? Absolutely. In an average year, I work on approximately 150 new cases from all across the United States. This year I added the Bahamas, Puerto Rico and Cancun, Mexico to the mix of areas where accidents occurred for which I was retained. Working in this business is pretty fascinating. I have worked on all kinds of cases, ranging from rape and murder cases to construction delays, crop dusting drifts, arsons, floods, car accidents and Hurricane claims. I just recently finished a case in Gulf Shores...the same area that just got hit again. I'm wondering if the same claim is going to be submitted? "Did the wind speed reach a certain MPH they were rated for to cause the windows to break out of this building or not." My answer will help determine whether an enormous insurance payoff is due or not.

Some of my other work is for criminal cases. Since I had testified in murder trials before, I was a natural for Court TV and the Scott Peterson case. You can see the video clip on my company website. Www.WeatherConsultants.Com. I wasn't actually part of the criminal case, but I was on their show 2 times as their weather expert. Several months ago I was also a consultant for Forensic Files and for CSI. I participated in roundtable discussions with the producers and writers of CSI in California regarding some cases that I thought would be worthy of an episode. There was 1 that they loved...so we'll see what happens. Of course, I offered to come out their for a walk on role as the weather expert. If they don't bite on this one you might see me write a book about it??

That's the bread and butter of what I do now. I hope you have found it interesting and enlightening.

1 Comments:

Blogger Valerie Butters said...

Hi, I found a picture of lightening over the sea, I was wondering if you would mind me using it as a ref picture for a painting as I am an artist.
If you mind, I'll understand.
Thanks,
Valerie

July 18, 2006 11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home